Sunday, January 02, 2011

Resurrecting the corners
(A new year, a new resolution...and an old blog)


Wow - I can't believe my last post was more than five years old!

The new year has just started yesterday and one of my resolutions is to take my writing to the next step. You see, back in 2009, I've decided to keep a diary again and resolved to fill up its pages faithfully from the first day of the year up to the last. In a way I have accomplished that - I say in a way because two weeks in May were kept blank. There's a good reason for that though: I was in the US at that time and I left my diary at home. I did chronicle my adventures in a separate notebook, which I plan to blog about soon.

Anyway, in 2010, my resolutions were (a) to continue keeping a diary and (b) re-activate my fiction writing. I used to write love stories back when I was in college but when I started working, that fell off the wayside. I haven't written a complete story for almost two decades now and I thought it would be a good time (or year) to start that again.

Easier said than done I guess.

This year, I've decided to take a different route. The diary resolution from two years back is still in effect but this time, I thought of re-activating my blog. My thinking was that it's easier to write about one's life experiences than pull a story out from the ether.

And with this first post, I guess I've already succeeded! :D

Anyway, as an introductory post, let me update briefly the articles that I've published here so far.

TOYCON - I continued to participate in the annual Toy Convention in Megamall up until 2009, when I shifted to the new Metro-Con organized by a friend. This new convention is more geared towards the comic medium rather than a mix of hobbies like the ToyCon so I thought, since I'm only selling comics, why not give it a try. Great decision as I earned a lot in their first year. I again participated in 2010 and while my earnings were not as great as the previous year, it was still a good one. I plan to participate this year again, which will be held in the first weekend of May.

NEIL GAIMAN - well, he did visit the country several more times after that first one in 2005 but I didn't attend any of his events anymore. I guess once was enough for me.

CANADIAN IDOL - this one sadly seems to be a defunct show now as its been off the air for a couple of years. It seems they discontinued it due to the recession that hit Canada (as well as the rest of the world). I miss the judges but not the host - sorry Ben! Jon Dore also left the show a year or so before it was cancelled.

GRAVEYARD SHIFT - I haven't worked in a graveyard shift since 2005 and I'm thankful for that as even now, working in that time frame is not attractive to me. A lot has happened though regarding my worklife since then - for one, the project where I worked the graveyard shift is no longer active. More on this in future posts.

FAVORITE SONGS - I plan to do an update on this in a future post so no need to expand on this here.

Okay I guess that updates most of the posts here so here's looking forward to new ones in the coming year. Wish me luck I guess!

No comments: